Quebec To Allow Bars To Stay Open Later As Montreal Canadiens Prepare For Late Matches | Health

0

MONTREAL – Quebec will allow bars to serve alcohol until midnight and stay open until 2 a.m., the province’s health ministry said on Monday.

Bar owners had asked the province to allow them to stay open later as the Montreal Canadiens begin a playoff series against the Vegas Golden Knights on Monday night, which will see some games start at 9 p.m.

Quebec’s COVID-19 regulations previously included a last call at 11 p.m. and the requirement that all customers be out of the establishment before midnight.

“I’m not complaining,” said Ziggy Eichenbaum, owner of Ziggy’s Pub in downtown Montreal. “I’ll take anything.”

He said if the rule had not been changed there was a risk that late-start games would continue past closing time.

“I can’t kick people out in overtime,” Eichenbaum said in an interview on Monday. “I’m going to ask everyone to leave, I’m going to have a riot.”

Bars across Quebec were allowed to reopen for domestic service on Monday, as areas that were orange zones on the province’s pandemic alert system were downgraded to yellow. Bar terraces in these areas were allowed to reopen on Friday. In some regions of the province, including Montreal, bars had been closed since the end of September.

The later closing time, which comes into effect on Monday, also applies to restaurants.

The Corporation of the Owners of Bars, Brasseries and Taverns of Quebec, an association of bar owners, had called for a last call at midnight and to be able to stay open until 2 a.m. when the Habs were playing, said Renaud Poulin, CEO of the group in an interview Monday, before the rule change.

The new rules are not specific to nights when there are hockey games. Other restrictions, including bans on dancing and karaoke, remain in effect.

Poulin, who also owns Resto Bar La Chope in Chateauguay, south of Montreal, said he feared Monday night’s game would start late and fans could find themselves having to leave a tight game as he still five to ten. minutes remaining in the third period.

Even before the closing time change, bar owners said they were happy to be open.

“We’re in the semi-finals, the Canadians are there and we’re not complaining. No matter what we can achieve, we will be happy with it, ”said Eichenbaum.

Earlier Monday, Health Minister Christian Dubé told reporters discussions were underway with public health to allow more fans to attend home games in person. Almost 18,000 fans will be allowed to attend the games in Las Vegas, compared to 2,500 fans in Montreal.

Dubé said public health director Dr Horacio Arruda is cautious. “The United States should not be our benchmark,” he added.

Earlier Monday, Quebec’s Ministry of Public Security announced that the province’s border with Ontario would reopen on Wednesday.

Travel from Ontario to Quebec has been restricted since April 19, due to concerns about the transmission of COVID-19 variants.

Travelers to Ontario will now be subject to the same COVID-19 restrictions as residents of Quebec and the requirement that people traveling from Ontario to Quebec must return to their primary residence to self-quarantine for 14 days has been lifted.

Quebec reported 123 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, a ninth consecutive day with fewer than 200 new infections.

Authorities on Monday reported an additional death linked to the disease, which had occurred in the previous 24 hours.

The health ministry said the number of hospitalizations fell by one from the day before, to 214, and 54 people are in intensive care, down from four.

The province reported that 75,533 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine were administered yesterday. Sunday was the fifth day in a row that the number of second doses administered in the province exceeded the number of first doses, according to data from the province’s public health institute.

According to the Institut national de santé publique du Québec, 78.8% of Quebecers over 12 have now received at least one dose and 13.2% of all residents are adequately vaccinated.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published on June 14, 2021.

———

This story was produced with the financial assistance of Facebook and the Canadian Press News Fellowship.

The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.


Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.