Mazda BT-50 2022 updated with 1.9-liter diesel option
Mazda’s ute lineup takes a new engine option from its under-skin twin, the Isuzu D-Max, along with more gear – and a handy button to easily turn off overzealous lane-keeping technology.
The 2022 Mazda BT-50 ute has been updated for the new model year, with the option of a new 1.9-liter diesel engine shared with partner Isuzu, and a flagship SP variant. Prices have not yet been announced.
The entry-level XS grade – available in 4×2 Single Cab, 4×2 Double Cab, or 4×4 Double Cab configurations – has been added for 2022, powered by a new 1.9 liter turbocharged diesel engine 110 kW / 350 Nm shared with its twin under the skin, the Isuzu D-Max (detailed here).
This is exclusively mated to a six-speed automatic transmission and is designed to tow up to three tonnes (instead of 3,500 kg on the 3.0-liter turbo-diesel models).
The base Mazda BT-50 XS variant rides on 17-inch steel wheels, with all other standard equipment items unchanged from the identically-specified XT variant, which offers the familiar four-engine turbodiesel engine. 3.0-liter 140 kW / 450 Nm cylinders, and 17-inch alloy rims.
Upgraded, the Mazda BT-50 XTR is powered by the existing 3.0-liter engine and six-speed automatic transmission shared with Isuzu.
The Mazda BT-50 GT trim – exclusively available as a 4×4 double cab pickup – gains in comfort like power seats and parking sensors, while a Mazda BT-50 SP variant on the theme of sport with black accents and unique features is also offered for the first time (pictured above and detailed at the bottom of this story).
The Mazda BT-50 Thunder double cab headlight – based on the GT and adding a steel bull bar, LED light bar, 18-inch black alloys, side steps and tub liner – retains its place in the top of the range.
Following customer feedback, the Mazda BT-50’s intrusive lane-keeping assist system has also been updated for improved functionality.
Drivers can now turn off the sometimes overzealous lane-keeping assist technology by holding down a button on the steering wheel rather than going through several menu steps when the vehicle is stationary. It is not known why this simple solution is not yet offered on the Isuzu D-Max twin, which uses the same technology.
Seven colors will be offered in the updated range: Ice White, True Black, Mica Lingot, Silver Metallic, Concrete Gray, Mica Gun. Blue mica, rock gray, mica red and volcano mica.
The 2022 Mazda BT-50 is expected in Australian showrooms next January, with prices to be announced closer to its local arrival.
Standard features of the 2022 Mazda BT-50 XS and XT:
- 17 inch steel wheels (XS)
- 17 inch alloy wheels (XT)
- LED headlights with manual leveling
- Body-color, power-adjustable exterior mirrors
- Black fabric seat trim
- Air conditioner
- Electric windows
- Vinyl flooring
- Cruise control (XT manual transmission)
- Adaptive cruise control with stop and go (automatic transmission)
- 7.0-inch color infotainment touchscreen with Apple CarPlay (wireless and wired) and Android Auto (wired)
- DAB + digital radio
- Reversing camera
- USB charging point on the back
- Automatic high beam
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Blind spot monitoring
- Emergency Lane Keeping System – overtaking
- Hill Descent Control (HDC)
- Hill maintenance aid
- Lane departure warning and prevention
- Lane Keeping Assistance
- Locking rear differential (4×4 models only)
- Rear cross traffic alert
- Rear parking sensors
- Speed assist system
- Cornering assistance
Features of Mazda BT-50 XTR 2022 (on XT):
- 18 inch alloy wheels
- Exterior mirrors with electrically folding function
- 9.0 inch infotainment touchscreen
- Satellite navigation
- Advanced keyless entry
- LED headlights with automatic leveling
- LED front fog lights
- Side steps
- Signature LED daytime running lights
- Dual zone air conditioning with rear vents
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- Auto-dimming interior rearview mirror
- Rear seat with central armrest
Features of the 2022 Mazda BT-50 GT (on XTR):
- Chrome exterior mirrors with heated function
- Brown leather seat trim
- Driver’s seat with eight-way power adjustment
- Heated front seats
- Remote engine start (automatic transmission)
- Front parking sensors
2022 Mazda BT-50 SP (on GT):
- Dark Metallic Gray Roof Rails
- Black grille
- Bronze signature wing
- Gloss black exterior mirrors
- Glossy black door handles
- 18-inch satin black alloy wheels
- Dark gray steps
- Driftwood leather and black synthetic suede interior trim
- Black manually operated rolling tonneau cover
- Bathtub coating
- Shiny black glider sport bar
- Front bumper lower decorative trim
- Gloss black wheel arch wideners
2022 Mazda BT-50 Thunder adds (on GT):
- Single hoop steel front bull bar
- Lightforce Double Row LED Light Bar,
- 18-inch black alloy wheels
- Wheel arch stub
- Side steps
- High-end sports bar
- Electric roller barrel
- Bathtub coating
Learn more about William Davis