Dozens of emergency crews attended the Charminster Road fire

MORE than ten emergency service crews attended the Charminster Road restaurant fire this weekend.

It took 14 firefighters wearing breathing apparatus to put out the blaze that severely damaged Mimi’s African restaurant on Saturday afternoon.

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire Services said they were called at 3.28pm to the incident, which was attended by crews from Redhill Park, Springbourne, Westbourne, Ferndown and two from Christchurch and Poole. This was in addition to an incident support unit from Dorchester and a British Red Cross vehicle from Springbourne.

Several police officers were also at the scene, securing the cordon that was put in place between Malmesbury Park Road and Shelbourne Road, causing traffic and public transport diversions.

An ambulance crew also attended the incident and treated Charminster Road resident Jayne Kemish, who reportedly passed out after inhaling smoke.

A Dorset Fire spokesperson said: ‘On arrival firefighters discovered a fire in the ground floor kitchen of a building, being used as a commercial grill (with apartments above). The fire started in the kitchen and spread to the ground floor and roof cavities.

“It was extinguished by 14 wearers of breathing apparatus using mainlines and hose reel jets. The shutdown was at 5:58 p.m.

Comments are closed.